For 4 people. Preparation time: 15 min. Cooking time: 50 min.
- 400 g (1 lb) carrots
- 50 g (2 oz) onion
- 100g (4 oz) leek
- 50g (2 oz) fresh ginger
- 1 fat clove of garlic
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 1 litre (2 pints) of vegetable stock
- Bay leaf
- Salt & pepper
- To Serve
- Crème fraiche
- Crusty bread
- Gently cook without colouring the sliced vegetables, ginger and garlic in the butter with a lid on the pan.
- Gradually add the stock and bring to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Add the bay leaf and season. Simmer for 45 - 60 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and liquidise.
- Return to a clean pan, re-boil, correct the seasoning and consistency.
- To serve add a generous dollop of crème fraiche to the soup and serve with crusty bread.