From The Campolucci-Bordi Family in Southport (Mario the best Italian chef in the World).
Serves 4. Cooking time: 2 hours.
- One halved onion (with skin)
- One medium carrot (unpeeled)
- Stick of celery
- 3 cans of tomatoes (chopped or whole) or 2 jars of pasatta
- Glug olive oil
- Seasoning (including a pinch of sugar)
- Heat in a sauce pan, the vegetables and olive oil on a medium heat.
- When they brown off a bit add in the tomatoes and seasoning.
- As soon as the sauce in the pan goes all volcanic turn the heat right down low.
- You want to give this sauce a good hour and a half, almost to when it starts to caramelize.
- Remove from the heat and discard the vegetables carefully with out losing the sauce.
- Serve with spaghetti (cooked as recommended on the pack) and grated parmesan.
- SIMPLE BUT STUNNING