Butternut Squash Gratin
For 4 people. Preparation time: 20 min. Cooking time: 25 min
- 1 butternut squash about 1,2 kg
- 200 g smoked bacon
- 2 table spoons of mixed chopped herbs : chervil, parsley, chives...
- 2 table spoons of pine nuts
- Salt, pepper
- 200 ml cream (about)
- Parmesan, grated as much as want
- Pre heat the oven to 210C
- Using a very sharp knife carefully peel the squash, and cut into cubes of about 3 cm environ,
- Steam the cubes until they are tender but not mushy
- Chop the smoked bacon into bite sized chunks.
- Arrange the butternut chunks and bacon into an oven proof dish and sprinkle over the chopped herbs and pine nuts. Season with a grating of the nutmeg and pepper, only add a little salt as the bacon sometimes can be a little too salty.
- Add the cream so it almost covers the squash mixture and then cover the whole lot with the parmesan.
- Place in the oven for about 20 mins.
- Serve with a green salad.