For 4 people
- 3-4 kg mussels
- 100 g butter
- 2 small onions or 6 shallots finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 350 ml white wine
- 1 bunch chopped fresh parsley
- Juice of 1 lemon
- In a large pan melt the butter and gently cook the onions and garlic without colouring.
- Add the parsley and white wine and leave, leave to infuse for a little bit over a gentle heat.
- Wash the mussels under running water and then add to the pan — discard any that are open or broken.
- Add some lemon juice to the pan and turn the heat up add the mussels and cook for about 4-5 mins shaking the pan every now and again so the mussels are evenly cooked (remove the open ones and place in a warm dish).
- Reduce the cooking liquor and pour over the mussels.
- Serve with crusty bread.