For 4 people
- 700 g raw crayfish
- 2 Little Gems lettuces, leaves separated and sliced
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
For the cocktail sauce
- 2 free-range egg yolks
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 300ml Groundnut oil
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- ½ lemon, juice only
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the crayfish in a steamer until they turn pink. This will take about 5 mins.
- Remove and cool before peeling them, discard the shells.
- For the cocktail sauce, place the eggs yolks, white wine vinegar and mustard into a food processor and blend until pale and creamy.
- With the motor running, pour the oil in gradually, in a steady stream, until you have a thick mayonnaise - you may not need to use all the oil.
- Place the mayonnaise into a mixing bowl, add the tomato ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, and lemon juice and mix to combine. Season to taste.
- Add the crayfish to the cocktail sauce and combine.
- To serve, arrange the Little Gem leaves in the base of each of your serving glasses.
- Spoon the mixture on top. Sprinkle over the cayenne pepper and serve.