Raspberry Meringue Pie
For 6 people.
- Short crust pastry
- 225 g plain white flour
- Pinch salt
- 110g cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 medium free-range egg yolk
- 500 g raspberries fresh or frozen
- 90 g melted butter
- 120 g sugar
- 120 g ground almonds
- 3 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5 and grease a 22 cm / 9 inch fluted loose-bottomed tin.
- Line the tin with your rolled out pastry, prick the base with a fork and cover with a circle of grease proof paper add some dried beans and cook in the oven for about 15 mins. The pastry should be dry.
- While this is cooking, mix the butter, sugar, ground almonds and egg yolks. When the pastry is cooked remover paper and beans and spoon in your mixture.
- Leave the tart to cool
- Place the raspberries on top of the mixture and cover with the sugar.
- Beat the egg whites until they form peaks and add 2 tablespoons of sugar and beat for another couple of minutes.
- Cover the tart with the meringue mixture and sprinkle a little sugar on top which will caramelise in the oven.