- 900g damsons, washed and stalks removed
- 100g caster sugar
- For the cobbler topping:
- 225g flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 75g chilled butter, diced
- 100g caster sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- A pinch of salt
- 1 medium egg
- 100ml buttermilk or yoghurt
- 15g flaked almonds
- 1. Spread the damsons over the base of a 2 litre shallow ovenproof dish and sprinkle with the caster sugar. Preheat the oven to 190C.
- 2. Sift the flour, baking powder, the 100g of caster sugar and a pinch of salt into a bowl or a food processor, add the butter and work together until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- 3. Break the egg into the buttermilk( or yoghurt) and beat together well. Add to the dry ingredients and mix together lightly into a soft, sticky dough. Drop walnut-sized spoonfuls of the mixture over the top of the damsons, leaving a little space between each one, then sprinkle with the flaked almonds and the remaining 1 tbsp of sugar.
- 4. Bake in the oven for about 30-35 minutes until golden and bubbling, serve with some custard, double cream.