For 4 people
- 4 partridges, each weighing approx. 600 g
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 fat garlic cloves -sliced
- 3 large onions -chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 8 rashers bacon cut into lardons
- 1glass of heavy red wine
- Preheat oven to 200°C Wash and dry partridges, then season well with salt and pepper, place into an oven proof dish
- Heat some of the butter and sauté the chopped onions, carrots and garlic.
- Add the above mixture around the birds together with a little water (4-6 tablespoons)
- Dot the lardons over the birds and add a little more butter and the bayleaf
- Cover with foil and cook for about 30-45 mins. Uncover for the last 10 mins so they brown
- Remove the birds and leave to relax — keep them covered — add a glass of the wine to the pan and reduce.
- To serve spoon the sauce over the birds and ideally eat with roast potatoes, vegetables of your choice and bread sauce.