- 3-4 lb chicken
- 2 red onions roughly chopped
- 1 generous bunch of tarragon
- 1 large lemon
- 6 fat cloves garlic roughly chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pint of chicken stock
- 2 glasses of red / white wine
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6, 400°F (200°C). You will also need a solid-based roasting tin.
- Take the chicken from the fridge and remove the string that holds the legs of the bird together so that the joints are loose.
- Place the chicken breast side down into the pan.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice all over the chicken and garlic and onion mixture, then cut the lemon into quarters and stuff some in to the chicken and the other parts into the tray.
- Pour over the olive oil over everything in the pan.
- Season and place the tarragon on top of the chicken.
- Place in the oven — check the chicken after about 40 minutes if the skin looks brown turn the chicken over (I do this so that there is an even colour all over the bird).
- When the bird is cooked ( to test for this slice the bird and if the juice that comes out is clear then your bird is cooked).
- Remove the chicken, along with the onions, garlic and lemon and leave to rest on one side — cover with foil.
- With the juices in the pan add some chicken stock and the red wine and reduce until about half in volume.
- Carve chicken and serve with whatever vegetables you fancy eatingâ€¦