Pepper Crusted Steak
From Avery & her Mom Annamae Kiser
- 8 sweet long peppers (green, red and cayenne)
- 2 red sweet gypsy peppers
- 2 cups extra-virgin Tuscan olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, concasse
- 1T red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Black peppercorns to taste
- 5 oz sirloin
- Char peppers on grill covered for good grill flavor (reserve two charred red peppers for puree). Pan fry peppers in olive oil until tender. Pour off ¾ oil and reserve. Add sliced garlic to oil and toast slightly to golden brown. Add tomato concasse and saute. Strain excess tomato water and reduce to three ounces; mount in olive oil. Finish with red wine vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. (Best with good dry sherry wine and parsley.)
- Take charred peppers and peel most of charred skin, remove seeds retaining natural juices through entire process. Blend pepper with olive oil until thick enough to make quenelle on plate.
- Steak: Crush black peppercorns on cutting board with underside of small sauté pan. Season steak with salt all around. Season with peppercorns on presentation side only. Grill steak to medium-rare. Cross hatch both sides 8 to 10 minutes; let rest.