Honey glazed Ham
For the Ham:
- 2.5kg boneless unsmoked gammon
- 3 litres water approximately
- 1 large onion halved
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp pepper
For the Glaze:
- approximately 16 whole cloves
- 250 g honey
- Place the gammon in a large saucepan.
- Add all the ingredients for the ham to the pan, adding some more water if the ham isn't covered.
- Bring to the boil, before reducing the heat to a simmer and partially covering the pan. Cook for about two and a half to three hours. Remove any foam that rises to the top.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190 C. Remove the ham from the liquid and sit the ham on a board. Strip off the rind, and a little of the fat layer if it's very thick, and cut a diamond pattern into the remaining fat with a knife.
- Stud each diamond with a clove. Warm the honey and pour over the clove-studded ham and then transfer it to the oven. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the glazed fat is burnished.
- Allow the meat to rest in a warm place for at least 15 minutes before carving it.