Chilli Con Carne
Serves 6 people. Cooking time 2 hours — maximum.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1kg minced beef
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 red chillies, thinly sliced
- 2 heaped tsp ground dried chilli powder
- Worcestershire sauce
- 570 ml beef stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can red kidney beans
- Crème fraiche, to serve
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Sweat the onion, fresh chillies and garlic until soft in the olive oil — ideally in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the mince, and stir until browned, this will only take 5 mins.
- Stir in the tinned tomatoes, chilli and Worcestershire sauce.
- Make up the stock and pour over the meat. Season.
- Cover with a lid and cook over a gentle heat for about 45 mins then add the kidney beans and cook for another 10 -15 mins — you will have a lovely rich sauce.
- To serve — add a dollop of crème fraiche to each serving and sprinkle over the chopped parsley.