Stuffed Beef Tomatoes
Serves 4. Cooking time: 1 hour 30 min.
- 4 beef tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100 g mushrooms finely sliced
- 1 courgette finely sliced
- 1 small aubergine chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 fat cloves garlic — chopped
- 125 g butter, melted
- 100 g cooked plain rice
- Salad leaves of your choice
- Balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- In a pan melt some of the butter and add the garlic cook until tender, then and add the aubergine and the courgette together with the thyme continue cooking until soft. Remove from the heat and put into a bowl.
- Put the top off the beef tomatoes and scoop out the inside discard the seeds. Add the flesh to the above mixture.
- Place the tomatoes onto a baking sheet, season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, drizzle with olive oil and put into the oven for about 10 mins just until they are tender.
- Cook the rice as per the instructions on the packet.
- Remove the tomatoes from the oven and stuff each with first a spoonful of rice and then the stuffing mixture.
- Drizzle with more oil and return to the oven to cook for until the stuffing is heated through.
- Serve each stuffed tomato on a plate with a bed of fresh salad with dressed with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.