- 150 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp white peppercorns, crushed
- 225g unsalted butter
- 3 medium egg yolks
- ¼ small lemon, juice only
- 15g sorrel, large stalks removed and the leaves finely shredded then roughly
- Bring the water, vinegar and crushed peppercorns to the boil in a small
stainless steel pan and reduce by two-thirds to about 2 tablespoons.
- Put the butter in another small pan and leave over a very low heat until
- Strain the reduction into a heatproof bowl, add the egg yolks and rest
over a pan of just simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl
is not touching the water. Then whisk for about 4 minutes which will increase
to about four times as much in volume.
- Turn the food processor on and slowly pour the butter on to the egg yolks with the motor still running. The sauce will start to thicken. When only the butter solids are left, stop.
- Remove the bowl from the pan and gradually whisk in the warm butter to
make a thick emulsion.
- Whisk in the lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon of salt and the sorrel.