- 1 kg aubergines
- 1 kg tomatoes — chopped
- 700 g of red, yellow and green peppers
- 500 g of onions — chopped
- 3 stalks of celery finely chopped
- 150 of black olives — stoned
- 50 g of capers lightly rinsed
- 1/2 glass of white wine vinegar
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Tablespoon of toasted flake almonds (optional)
- Wash and chop the aubergines into bite sized chunks and pour over a large glug of olive oil, then over a gentle heat stir them until they become soft. Remove and put into a bowl
- Then repeat this with the peppers.
- In the same pan add the onions and celery and then the tomatoes.
- Let this all simmer very gently until the vegetables become really soft, and then add the aubergines, peppers, capers, olives.
- Let all this gently simmer with the lid on the pan for about 10 mins.
- Check the seasoning and leave to cool and then cover and leave in the fridge — I sometimes toast a handful o