- 25g/1oz butter
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 apple, peeled and sliced
- 85g/3oz ready-rolled puff pastry
- Double cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Heat the butter in a small ovenproof frying pan, add the sugar and cook until the sugar has melted and caramelised. Add the apple slices and stir to coat them in the caramel.
- Cut a circle of puff pastry to fit over the frying pan. Place the pastry circle on top of the apples and push down around the edges to seal in the apples.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the pastry is golden-brown and risen. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- To serve, carefully turn the tarte tatin out onto a plate and pour over the cream.