For 4 people. Cooking time: 30 min.
- 450 g rhubarb
- 125 g caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons of water
- 75 g plain flour
- 50 g Demerara sugar
- 50 g ground almonds (optional)
- 50 g butter chilled cut into cubes
- Hot custard or cream
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Roughly chop the rhubarb and put in a pan with the sugar and water.
- Simmer gently over a low heat until the rhubarb becomes soft — remove from the heat and leave to one side.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour and butter together so it resembles breadcrumbs, add in the sugar, and almonds.
- Put the rhubarb mixture into an oven proof dish and cover with the topping.
- Place this in the oven and cook for roughly 30 minutes — you just want the topping to be golden.
- Let the crumble cool and serve with fresh cream or custard.